Provide real-world implementations?

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:52 PM
Hello,

Can you provide some real-world implementations for how you've used XGenPlus? I ran into problems using sgen and found this site. Conceptually, the tool works great, but in a practical application, it lacks a few items.

First, it would be nice to be able to set the location the temp files are built. We are actually running into the max path (260 characters) in one of our projects, so telling XGenPlus to go create the .cs files elsewhere would be fantastic.

But more importantly, I find it a pain to have to copy the XGenPlus.SerializerLib.dll everywhere I want the tool to run. There should be a parameter for this. I realize this ultimately boils down to how the .Net runtime resolves assemblies when they are loaded, but it's still annoying that the tool can't determine where it's running from and attempt to load assemblies there.

So where do you put your tool and the XGenPlus.SerializerLib.dll when you are automating the generation of the serialization classes, and how do you ensure that the assemblies are always found? Do you copy the tool and the assembly to your output folder (e.g., \bin\debug)?

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant. Neat tool -- I look forward to testing it out more.

Thanks!